Celebrating Innovation and Excellence: Highlights from the Façade 2023 Design and Engineering Awards
The recently concluded Façade 2023 Design and Engineering Awards, held at the prestigious Hilton Park Lane, London, were a resounding success, showcasing groundbreaking projects that embody innovation, carbon saving, and refurbishment.
International Triumphs in Façade Engineering
- Bee’ah Headquarters (International Sustainability Award): Located in Sharjah’s Al Sajaa desert, UAE, this architectural marvel achieved a BREEAM Outstanding and LEED Platinum building status. Designed by the late Zaha Hadid, its glass-fiber-reinforced concrete façade acts as a protective ‘shield’ against the sun, with 90% regionally sourced materials featuring high recycled content.
- Google Bay View Campus (International New Build Award): Situated in California, USA, this campus boasts curved bays clad with dragonscale photovoltaic shingles, providing 40% of the building’s energy needs. It has received LEED Platinum certification for its sustainable design and energy efficiency.
UK’s Façade Engineering Triumphs
- Battersea Power Station Phase 2 (UK Refurbishment Award): Recognized for its monumental efforts in transforming the iconic brick landmark, reusing over 36,000 tons of CO2e of legacy carbon.
- Black and White Building (UK Innovation Award): The full-timber construction of this London commercial office marvel sets a new standard in the industry, achieving an A+ rating in the LETI criteria with 40% lower embodied carbon than an equivalent aluminum system.
Individual Accolades and Achievements
- Rocco Boselli (Young Façade Engineer of the Year): An outstanding achievement for Boselli from Eckersley O’Callaghan, demonstrating remarkable expertise and dedication.
- Dr. Bill Wolmuth (Lifetime Achievement Award): Recognized for his unparalleled contribution to the façade industry, particularly in glass and façade testing, spanning over 25 years.
Presidential Commendation and More
- Chris Aspinal: Acknowledged with a Presidential commendation from CIBSE President Adrian Catchpole for his significant contributions.
- Fineo by AGC Europe (Product of the Year UK): A coating-on-demand service allowing engineers to develop unique coated glass products tailored to their needs.
- Voltin (Product of the Year International): Recognized for their digital assessment system of a building exterior capable of detecting building defects.
Shaping the Future of Façade Engineering
The Façade 2023 Awards stand as a testament to the transformative power of innovation and sustainability in the field. Congratulations to all the winners and contributors who continue to shape the future of façade engineering.
Source: www.cibse.org with additional information added by Apazone